September 2008 Black Tuesday Overview

Published: 2008-09-09
Last Updated: 2008-09-09 22:48:01 UTC
by Swa Frantzen (Version: 1)
2 comment(s)

Overview of the September 2008 Microsoft patches and their status.

# Affected Contra Indications Known Exploits Microsoft rating ISC rating(*)
clients servers
MS08-052 Multiple vulnerabilities in GDI+: VML heap buffer overflow, EMF memory corruption, GIF parsing, WMF buffer overflow, BMP header overflow. Impact is code execution. GDI+ is used by -among many others- Internet Explorer and Office to draw images.
Replaces MS08-040 and MS04-028.
GDI+

CVE-2007-5348
CVE-2008-3012
CVE-2008-3013
CVE-2008-3014
CVE-2008-3015

KB 954593

No publicly known exploits

Critical Critical Important
MS08-053 Windows media encoder installs an ActiveX control maked safe for scripting, but it was never intended to be used by Internet Explorer.
Windows media encoder

CVE-2008-3008
KB 954156 No publicly known exploits Critical Critical Important
MS08-054 Windows media Player 11 input validation error in handling server side playlists. impact: code execution.
Windows media player 11

CVE-2008-2253
KB 954154 No publicly known exploits Critical Critical Important
MS08-055 Lack of input validation in the URL validator for the OneNote protocol. The impact is code execution.
Replaces MS07-025 and MS08-016. Email and web based attack vectors exist.

Office

CVE-2008-3007

KB 955047
No publicly known exploits Critical Critical Important
We will update issues on this page for about a week or so as they evolve.
We appreciate updates
US based customers can call Microsoft for free patch related support on 1-866-PCSAFETY
(*): ISC rating
  • We use 4 levels:
    • PATCH NOW: Typically used where we see immediate danger of exploitation. Typical environments will want to deploy these patches ASAP. Workarounds are typically not accepted by users or are not possible. This rating is often used when typical deployments make it vulnerable and exploits are being used or easy to obtain or make.
    • Critical: Anything that needs little to become "interesting" for the dark side. Best approach is to test and deploy ASAP. Workarounds can give more time to test.
    • Important: Things where more testing and other measures can help.
    • Less Urgent: Typically we expect the impact if left unpatched to be not that big a deal in the short term. Do not forget them however.
  • The difference between the client and server rating is based on how you use the affected machine. We take into account the typical client and server deployment in the usage of the machine and the common measures people typically have in place already. Measures we presume are simple best practices for servers such as not using outlook, MSIE, word etc. to do traditional office or leisure work.
  • The rating is not a risk analysis as such. It is a rating of importance of the vulnerability and the perceived or even predicted threat for affected systems. The rating does not account for the number of affected systems there are. It is for an affected system in a typical worst-case role.
  • Only the organization itself is in a position to do a full risk analysis involving the presence (or lack of) affected systems, the actually implemented measures, the impact on their operation and the value of the assets involved.
  • All patches released by a vendor are important enough to have a close look if you use the affected systems. There is little incentive for vendors to publicize patches that do not have some form of risk to them.

--
Swa Frantzen -- Section 66

2 comment(s)

Comments

I just applied these updates to my XP SP3 laptop. While it was sitting on the "reboot" screen, a Windows File Protection dialog box popped up and said that "C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\gdiplus.man" was not available to restore and that I need to insert "KB938464 Source Files" now.

I canceled out of the Windows File Protection dialog box and rebooted. The event log shows an Event ID 36 Source: SideBySide:

The assembly x86_Microsoft.Windows.GdiPlus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.2600.5581_x-ww_dfbc4fc4 has missing or invalid files; recovery of this assembly failed.

The laptop still seems to work...
SidebySide error means a problem with a DLL. In this case, there probably was an installation error for the GDI+ patch. Run the Windows XP System Restore back to before you installed the updates then try them again. I'm running XP SP3 and the update ran smooth.

Diary Archives