Threat Level: green Handler on Duty: Pasquale Stirparo

SANS ISC: November 2016 Microsoft Patch Day - SANS Internet Storm Center SANS ISC InfoSec Forums

November 2016 Microsoft Patch Day

Microsoft today released 13 bulletins (plus one bulletin from Adobe for Flash). 5 of the Microsoft bulletins, and the Adobe Flash bulletin are rated critical. There are a number of vulnerabilities that have either already been known, or have already been exploited:

MS16-129 and MS16-142 (Internet Explorer): An information disclosure (CVE 2016-7199) has already been publicly disclosed, but not been exploited yet. The vulnerability can leak information cross-origin. In addition there is a spoofing vulnerability that only affects Microsoft Edge that has been publicly disclosed ( CVE 2016-7209 ).

MS16-132 (Microsoft Graphics Component): This is yet another open type font issue (CVE 2016-7256). IT has already been exploited and I labeled this bulletin as "Patch Now" . The vulnerability can be used for remote code execution.

MS16-135 (Kernel Mode Drivers): A Win32k priviledge escalation vulnerability (CVE 2016-7255) has already been publicly disclosed and exploited. This one is a bit odd in that it sounds like what Google released as CVE 2016-7855. Trying to clarify if this is a typo. 

Full details: https://isc.sans.edu/mspatchdays.html?viewday=2016-11-08

Note that Microsoft didn't use the first two bulletins for the usual Internet Explorer and Edge cumulative updates. Instead, the first bulletin (MS16-129) is used for Edge, and the last one (MS16-142) is used for Internet Explorer. The Flash update uses the next to last bulletin (MS16-141). 

---
Johannes B. Ullrich, Ph.D.
STI|Twitter|LinkedIn

Johannes

2930 Posts
ISC Handler
I'm having issues with pulling json format of ms patch Tuesday API. "binary garbage" seems to be returning. the XML format works well.

curl -s https://isc.sans.edu/api/getmspatchday/2016-11-08?json
MD

11 Posts Posts
I think you are getting the gzipped response for some reason. I have to look back to see what the reason was for that again.
Johannes

2930 Posts Posts
ISC Handler
Links to CVEs dont work.
TexISO

19 Posts Posts
MS16-132
Anyone has an issue with MS16-132 pulling it up on WSUS?
I'm trying to push MS16-132 too all my workstations (windows 7), but when I pull up MS16-132 on my WSUS Server, the only patches showing are for Windows Server 2008. I don't see the patches for Windows 7.
Thanks...
Anonymous