DST Issue in Windows 7 Ultimate?

Published: 2010-03-14
Last Updated: 2010-03-14 16:16:10 UTC
by Marcus Sachs (Version: 1)
9 comment(s)

One of our readers reported that his copy of Windows 7 Ultimate failed to update itself overnight with the change to Daylight Saving Time.  We have not had any other reports of this, but are curious if any readers have seen any DST difficulties with Windows 7.  It may have been a local configuration error, but it's always good to ask around for other observations.

Thanks for the note Ramu.

Marcus H. Sachs
Director, SANS Internet Storm Center

Keywords:
9 comment(s)

Comments

I'm betting it was a user configuration error. I saw a similar message on a BlackBerry forum where a user reported his BlackBerry didn't update only to respond to his own post saying that his BlackBerry had been set to Central America rather than Central Time.
I live in a timezone that doesn't switch to DST. There are three Windows 7 machines in my house and all stayed put. (-8
Fully patched Windows 7 Pro reporting correct EDT time.
If it's any consolation, my moto cellphone didn't do DST either, I had to reboot it before it did a cell tower NTP check.
I have Win-7 Ultimate and mine updated to PDT on its own today.
Patch KB979306 (not a security update) released later February addresses DST problems. Maybe this patch will solve the problem mentioned.
Thanks for all of the comments. As an aside, I found that a machine I have running Windows 2000 Server fully patched did not spring forward. It still thinks that we are on standard time. (No, I don't plan to upgrade to a newer OS. It's for storing old digital photos and works quite nicely.)
It was the issue of setting timezone to to Central America! - Thanks
I've got a windows 7 Pro machine that updated fine, I'm waiting to find out if the Win 7 Ultimate machine @ our DPW updated corectly.

Diary Archives