Last Updated: 2008-03-19 23:42:43 UTC
by Adrien de Beaupre (Version: 1)
When your provider seems to own it?
A reader sent us a link to a story which ends well, a gentleman who's spouse had passed away had asked his VM provider to restore the greeting she had made. My first reaction was isn't that wonderful! Then Darren and I started to discuss the implications. The original story is here.
- Who owns your voicemail?
- if you delete a VM message, is it deleted?
- If you delete a VM, can it be restored if you ask?
- Who authorized the backups of my VM?
- Are the backups subpoenable?
- Do providers adequately authenticate requests to retrieve VM?
- What logs are kept of such requests?
I think we have only scratched the surface of the privacy and security implications raised by this case.
Adrien de Beaupré