Last Updated: 2011-01-25 00:08:42 UTC
by Adrien de Beaupre (Version: 1)
Microsoft has confirmed that thousands of Windows Live accounts have been compromised with their passwords posted online. Mainstream media such as the BBC are also carrying the story. Some information is posted here.
UPDATE: Gmail and Yahoo are also affected by the compromise. Change all passwords on any of these popular webmail sites.
Some does and don'ts:
- Do change your passwords on a regular basis (every six months or so)
- Do use long complex pass-phrases rather than passwords where you can
- Do change all of your passwords if you notice something suspicious
- Do take identity theft seriously
- Do use up-to-date anti-virus and a firewall
- Do NOT click on links in emails, ever
- Do NOT use the same password at multiple sites