Last Updated: 2009-02-07 21:51:03 UTC
by Tony Carothers (Version: 1)
A Storm Center subscriber has just submitted malware embedded in .gif image files, downloaded from the image site 4chan.org. For the sake of expediency, and because this person did such a good write up, here is the analysis provided:
"The *.gif files were found the "random" board of the image board site 4chan. The files contain a large picture with instructions to save the file with a .jse extension and run it.
The *.out files are the result of applying scrdec to the gifs to reveal the encoded script.
It appears to:
(1) copy itself somewhere as 'sys.jse'
(2) add itself to a Run key in the registry
(3) (a) fetch the index to 4chan's /b forum
(b) download the first image
(c) save it as 'j.jse'
(d) attempt to run 'j.jse'
(4) construct a POST request containing the image as payload
(5) upload itself as a new post on 4chan
(6) point an instance of IE at site it came from
(3)-(6) are in an infinite loop."
To the subscriber who did the legwork on tihs one, my thanx for the excellent work
I will provide more data as it develops.......