Last Updated: 2007-05-09 20:18:31 UTC
by Swa Frantzen (Version: 1)
Overview of the May 2007 Microsoft patches and their status.
|#||Affected||Contra Indications||Known Exploits||Microsoft rating||ISC rating(*)|
||Multiple vulnerabilities allow remote code execution, replaces MS07-002|
|KB 934233||No known exploits||Critical||Critical||Important
|MS07-024||Multiple vulnerabilities allow remote code execution, replaces MS07-014|
|KB 934232||Actively exploited
|MS07-025||Lack of input validation in MSO.DLL allows remote code execution, replaces MS07-015|
||No known exploits||Critical||Critical||Important
|MS07-026||Multiple vulnerabilities allow remote code execution, information leaks and DoS replaces MS06-019 and MS06-029|
||No known exploits||Critical||Important(**)||Critical|
|MS07-027||Cumulative Internet Explorer update, replaces MS07-016
||Publicly disclosed (some)
|MS07-028||Input handling vulnerability in the handling of certificates leading to remote code execution
|CAPICOM and BizTalk server
|KB 931906||No known exploits||Critical||Critical||Critical|
|MS07-029||RPC vulnerability allows remote code execution|
|KB 935966||Actively exploited
Microsoft Security Advisory (935964)
We appreciate updates
US based customers can call Microsoft for free patch related support on 1-866-PCSAFETY
- We use 4 levels:
- PATCH NOW: Typically used where we see immediate danger of exploitation. Typical environments will want to deploy these patches ASAP. Workarounds are typically not accepted by users or are not possible. This rating is often used when typical deployments make it vulnerable and exploits are being used or easy to obtain or make.
- Critical: Anything that needs little to become "interesting" for the dark side. Best approach is to test and deploy ASAP. Workarounds can give more time to test.
- Important: Things where more testing and other measures can help.
- Less Urgent: Typically we expect the impact if left unpatched to be not that big a deal in the short term. Do not forget them however.
- The difference between the client and server rating is based on how you use the affected machine. We take into account the typical client and server deployment in the usage of the machine and the common measures people typically have in place already. Measures we presume are simple best practices for servers such as not using outlook, MSIE, word etc. to do traditional office or leisure work.
- The rating is not a risk analysis as such. It is a rating of importance of the vulnerability and the perceived or even predicted threat for affected systems. The rating does not account for the number of affected systems there are. It is for an affected system in a typical worst-case role.
- Only the organization itself is in a position to do a full risk analysis involving the presence (or lack of) affected systems, the actually implemented measures, the impact on their operation and the value of the assets involved.
- All patches released by a vendor are important enough to have a close look if you use the affected systems. There is little incentive for vendors to publicize patches that do not have some form of risk to them.
Swa Frantzen -- NET2S
Last Updated: 2007-05-08 21:54:43 UTC
by Swa Frantzen (Version: 1)
There are a number of variation on the text, but it all boils down to (I've chosen a short version as an example):
I wish to let you know that i have been paid by a client to assasinate you at convenience,and i have signed a contract of $650,000 yesterday for this.I have never met you before,but they gave me the full description of your identity and contact,together with your photograph which my boys have used to trace you.
The reason why they want you Dead is not disclosed to me as i was not allowed to know,but you are now not better that the dead ok.
My BOYS are now contantly watching you,they are following you-home,office,everywhere.....,you go and they are waiting for my instruction to terminate you.And they will strike at convenience.
THIS IS MY MESSAGE-
LISTEN VERY WELL !!!!,the Police cannot do much to help you out in this right now because you are being watched,any such attempt is very risky cause you will push us to terminate your life without option. Your calls are not safe also.In fact you are traced.
I have no business with you but at least i have cleared the way as a pro-,but you may have one chance to live again if you can contact me not latter that 24 hours after this mssage.
[Spelling and Grammar enthusiasts, please abstain, the errors were in the original)
Some versions ask for more "realistic" amounts, are longer, have less spelling mistakes etc.
Basically there is a drop box on some free email provider where they expect you to contact them.
The best possible advice: DO NOT MAKE CONTACT. These guys will just spam you if you do not respond, once you respond they've spotted somebody who might fall for the scam and they'll be much harder and annoying to get rid of.
This is the classical "don't be the easiest target".
This is becoming known as a "419 death threat", use that term when reporting.
How to report:
- the abuse contact of the drop mailbox where they try to make contact
- If you can get them to give attention, report it as an attempted scam with the appropriate authorities for the part of the world you live in.
In the USA, from the FBI: "If you have experienced this situation, please notify your local, state, or federal law enforcement agency immediately. Also, please notify the IC3 by filing a complaint at www.ic3.gov."
Swa Frantzen -- NET2S
Please choose a specific diary above to comment