Moore, Oklahoma tornado charitable organization scams, malware, and phishing

Published: 2013-05-21
Last Updated: 2013-05-21 20:33:04 UTC
by Adrien de Beaupre (Version: 1)
1 comment(s)

I find it sad that in times when people are facing disaster, many have died, others missing, and the survivors facing having lost everything that there are scumbags who will try to take advantage. Be very wary of any charity that is raising funds for victims of any disaster, particularly one that has not been around for very long. There are many legit charities, I would recommend sticking to ones you are already familiar with. The American Red Cross for example has been around for a long time, does amazing work, and is always in need of funding. They are just one example of a well established charity that does good work and is already involved in helping out in Moore, Oklahoma.

Routine monitoring of newly registered domain names shows a number of brand new ones that have words like Oklahoma, Moore, tornado, recovery, help, assistance, and similar. I am certain that a number are registered by well meaning people, however I am equally sure that many are fake or scams. It does not take long for any recent newsworthy topic to be the subject line of phishing, malware, and scammers.

Another handler remarked that the new trend seems to be crowd funding, hopefully the money raised will make its way to the charity where it belongs.

Cheers,
Adrien de Beaupré
Intru-shun.ca Inc.
My SANS Teaching Schedule

1 comment(s)

Comments

See: http://www.nvoad.org/members

Diary Archives